LED lighting in the room can serve as basic lighting, designed for decorative light, and for additional zoning of certain areas. All this is done by installing chandeliers, spotlights (spotlights), linear, rectangular or circular fixtures, or LED strip.
Types of LED lighting
LED lighting in the room is classified according to several criteria: type of lighting, installation technology and type of lighting fixtures used. Consider each of them more closely.
Types of lighting
This term refers to 4 types, differing from each other primarily by the saturation of the luminous flux and location of lighting elements. Classification by type of lighting with LED light can be as follows:
- Scattered. It is assumed that the main source will provide uniform illumination of the entire space of the room. Light is selected neutral tone, cool or warm radiation.
- Working. It is used as a color zoning, which implies the installation of fixtures that delimit certain zones of the room. For example, separating the kitchen work area over the countertop from the place of eating or the space occupied by the bed in the bedroom.
- Accent. Also implies a point location of LED elements in order to increase the originality of the room. Mostly such techniques are used to draw attention to objects in the interior, highlighting pictures, figurines, and other decorative elements.
- Decorative. It has no practical function. It is achieved by installing spot LED lighting fixtures. The arrangement of elements is determined depending on the specified goal. For example, to visually increase the space or create a lively environment.
The location of LED lighting depends on the type of lamps used. For example, spotlights are installed in open space, niches or protrusions, tape – in cornices, ceiling plinths, furniture. Let’s consider the existing options in more detail.
Flat ceiling – one of the most popular options. Here can be mounted any type of LED lighting fixtures in a completely different order. For example, in the center of the room chandelier with classic LED lamps, along the perimeter (or in a special niche of multilevel ceilings) – strip.
Ceiling plinth – the installation takes place after the installation of the main surface is completed. Particular attention should be paid to the purchase of the skirting board. Most often it is a polyurethane or PVC product.
Important: Try to use elements with a thick and dense structure. Otherwise the effect achieved will not be so expressive.
Kitchen furniture provides the result of an even, soft scattering of light streams. In most cases, LED strips are installed, in rare cases – point (recessed or surface elements). Mounting is carried out in special internal slots, arranged on aluminum or plastic furniture plinths, cornices. The front plane is hidden by a transparent or frosted insert, which creates the effect of the aforementioned diffusion.
Types of LED lamps
The choice of LED lighting begins with determining the type of lamp, which, in turn, can belong to one of the following groups:
- For general use, designed for basic room lighting. Such lamps give diffused light. They resemble old incandescent light bulbs (Illich bulbs) in their pear shape. They are used with plafonds, chandeliers, sconces. This group also includes built-in spotlights that are installed separately or together with decorative plafonds.
- To obtain a directional flow of light. Their design resembles a miniature spotlight, spotlight type. They are used to emphasize a certain part of the wall, ceiling, interior object.
Once the location of LED lighting fixtures, you must decide on its type. Here the classification is made into 5 types:
- Spot – mounted in furniture niches, suspended ceilings, designed primarily to illuminate work surfaces.
- Recessed Ceiling – LED panels, having a rectangular or rounded shape. Due to the thickness of only 1.5-3 cm, they are installed in suspended ceilings.
- Linear – in appearance resemble the old bulbs of daylight. They differ in length and power of illumination. Can be used as general or zone lighting.
- Bulb lights – classic bulbs that can have different bases, shapes, supply voltages, wattages and shades of emitted luminous flux.
- Ribbon – the optimal way of original lighting of surfaces of curvilinear nature. They have an increased flexibility, are able to repeat any turns of furniture, ceilings and walls.
It should be borne in mind that the classification of classic lamps is carried out by the type of socket. According to this feature is divided into 3 groups:
- With a threaded base “Edison”, are marked with the letter “E”.
- With pin base, marked with the letter “G”.
- With contacts designed for fluorescent lamps and marked “T”.
The most common are lamps with an “Edison” base. The marking written after the letter designation indicates the diameter. In “G” type elements, the value written after the letter indicates the number of contacts. Power supply units which convert 110V into a lower value are used for connection: 12 V or (in rare cases) 24 V.
Useful! The type of fixing of the socket can be a screw, a pin or a dowel.
Luminaire placement rules
In order to get the maximum effect of competently built interior, it is necessary to take into account a number of features affecting not only the appearance, but also the safety of LED lighting. They are as follows:
- In the case of location of spotlights along the walls, it is necessary to observe the minimum distance between them. It is not less than 20 cm.
- When the distance between the spot lights of 30 cm more, use more powerful lamps, able to qualitatively illuminate the room. Please note, this condition applies only to the situation when the lights act as the main source of light. With their auxiliary function and the presence of a chandelier, there may be a larger step between them.
- The location of LED spotlights in parallel with each other can visually elongate the room. This effect is often used in the design of small rooms.
- Rectangular arrangement – a popular enough trick for small rooms. But this method requires another source – a chandelier in the center.
When installing recessed LED lights in combination with suspended ceilings, the color and texture (multi-stage) coating is taken into account. On single-plane can be installed elements of the same type, in the multistage – a decorative addition will serve as a LED strip. It is installed, as a rule, in places of adjacency of different planes or along the perimeter of the room.
Examples of arrangements for different rooms
Number, type and location of LED lighting is different depending on what room it is intended for. General surface rules suggest such features.
The entire area of the room is conditionally divided into two zones: cooking and eating. Each of them implies its own lighting, the inclusion of which can be carried out simultaneously or separately. And the effect of the second method will be much higher.
Keep in mind that such conditions apply to kitchens located in cottages or apartments of modern buildings. In rooms with an area of less than 10 m2 this option is not applied, and the lighting of the working area simultaneously performs the functions of general lighting. Overloading will be obvious, and this situation can be avoided by using light-colored fixtures or lamps made of glass. An excellent option would be the arrangement of wooden or metal elements of openwork type.
Useful! Most manufacturers offer the consumer a series of lighting fixtures made of the same material, but with different sizes, colors, shapes. Consider the possibilities of combination.
An example of a successful LED kitchen lighting can be this arrangement:
- General lighting – spot LED fixtures.
- Work area lighting – original, corresponding to the rest of the interior, chandelier.
- Additional (decorative light) – LED strip, hidden in the multilevel ceiling or furniture cornices.
Useful! To soften and diffuse the light streams from the strip, it is recommended to use a diffuser (a box with a transparent or frosted wall).
Additional wall lights are located at a height of 1,3-1,4 m from the floor level (50-60 cm from the surface of the table top). In interiors with a bar counter the height is increased by 30-40 cm.
The saturation of light here is determined depending on the preferences of the owners. On the one hand, the room belongs to those in which rest, so bright lighting is not necessary. However, it is in the living rooms where guests meet, celebrations, gatherings with friends take place. This fact requires additional elements that can emphasize the individuality of the owners.
A striking example of LED living room lighting are wall sconces, acting as an additional source. With their help, accentuation, spectacular light decor, interior decoration, creates a cozy atmosphere.
As the main source of light is a chandelier or spotlights in a variety of forms. The use of LED strip is allowed only in the presence of two-level ceilings or ceiling curtains, which will be entrusted to the role of the box.
The conditions are similar to those described above. Here it is necessary to develop general and zoned lighting. Of the additional areas that require illumination, allocate places near the entrance door, in front of the mirror.
As a decor, you can use not only LED lighting, but also cable wiring. Such techniques are often seen in ethnic styles.
In terms of convenience in the subsequent operation will not be superfluous to arrange a few spot LED lights or strip at 15-25 cm. from the floor. It is connected via a separate switch and allows you to move around the house (apartment) at night (bright main light will not cut into the eyes).
Useful! Designing lights for long, elongated corridors (hallways) is more convenient to do through the use of pass-through switches that allow you to turn on and off the light from different ends of the room.
In bedrooms, choose a soft light that does not strain the eyesight. An extravagant chandelier or original LED spot lighting can be used for this purpose. Zoning is done in a variety of ways and depends on which place you want to emphasize:
- A night lamp on the bedside table.
- The illumination of a mirror or closet.
- Installing a wall sconce in the headboard.
- Built-in LED lamp in a multilevel ceilings, curtains, ceiling plinths.
If the bedroom has a working area, it also requires an additional source of light
Useful! Add romance by placing compact lamps with an indirect glow at the headboard. Even more powerful effect would be produced by candles or their electronic analogues.
The lighting of rooms, designed for sleeping and children’s games, is done according to the principles used in the bedrooms. General lighting is also installed here, which will be supplemented with work area lighting. The main difference from other rooms is that this is a multifunctional room: bedroom, office, game room. And all this should be combined and get along competently in close proximity to each other.
Important! Regardless of the age of the child in his room must be a desk lamp.
In the room of a newborn additional lighting can be located at a level of 50-60 cm from the floor. Maximum convenience for parents will bring the connection of a motion sensor and dimmer, which regulates the brightness of the glow of a kind of nightlight.
The basic principle, which should be adhered to, is the rule “It is not enough light. It is desirable to determine the question already at the design stage and try to arrange everything so that the room was the most illuminated. As a last resort, some devices can be turned off or less powerful lamps can be used.